In 1875, the first seed control station is established.
In 1913, the Baltic Crop Pest and Disease Control Station is established in Priekuļi.
In 1930, compulsory seed control is introduced for all trading companies.
In 1930, the National Plant Protection Centre is established.
In 1931, the Plant Protection Act is adopted by the Parliament.
In 1937, the document 'Recommended plant protection products for use' is approved.
In 1944 the Central Seed Control Laboratory of the People's Commissariat of Agriculture of the Latvian SSR is established, in 1945 it is merged with the State Inspectorate for Plant Quarantine.
In 1945, the State Inspectorate for Comparison of Cereal Varieties is established.
In 1946, the State Plant Quarantine Inspectorate of the Latvian SSR is established.
In 1947, the Latvian Republican Seed Control Laboratory is established.
In 1958, specialised plant disease and pest control groups are established.
On 12 May 1961, the Deputy Minister of Agriculture of Latvia, Mr Samoļevskis, signs Order No 200 'On the organisation of the Republican Plant Protection Station'. The Station simultaneously performs the functions of the Ministry's Plant Protection Administration. The Republican Plant Protection Station is subordinated to the Plant Pests and Diseases Inventory and Forecast Sector, which has its own observation posts.
In 1967, the Plant Quarantine Inspectorate was renamed the Border Inspectorate for Plant Quarantine.
In 1975, the Republican Sector for Inventory and Forecasting of the Occurrence and Spread of Pests and Diseases is renamed the Republican Laboratory for Forecasting and Diagnosis of Agricultural Plant Pests and Diseases.
In 1977, the Biolaboratory and the Helminthology Laboratory are established within the Republican Plant Protection Station. At the end of 1977, the Republican Plant Protection Station is allocated premises at 68 Maskavas Street, Riga.
In 1987, the Latvian State Inspectorate for the Comparison of Varieties of Agricultural Crops is renamed the Latvian State Centre for the Comparison of Varieties of Agricultural Crops.
In 1988, the Republican Plant Protection Station is dissolved and incorporated into the ZRA "Ražība" as a department. On 1 June 1988, Gati Galviņa is appointed head of the Plant Protection Department. In 1989, the management of the Division moves to the Ministry of Agriculture, 2 Republic Square, Riga.
In 1990, the State Plant Protection Station is established on the basis of the Plant Protection Department of the Republican Scientific Production Association 'Ražība'. Gati Galviņa is appointed Director of the Station.
In 1991, the Plant Pest and Disease Forecasting and Diagnostic Laboratory is incorporated into the State Plant Protection Station. In 1991, the Latvian Plant Quarantine Border Inspectorate is added to the State Plant Protection Station as the Plant Quarantine Division.
In 1993 Latvia joins the Euro-Mediterranean Plant Protection Organisation.
In 1994, the Plant Protection Act is adopted.
1995 Establishment of the Group for the Control of Trade in and Use of Plant Protection Products.
In 1996, work begins on the establishment of the National Seed Control Laboratory.
In 1997, the Sanitary Border Inspectorate is set up.
In 1997, the State Plant Variety Comparison Station Riga and the State Plant Variety Comparison Station Valmiera are abolished. In 1998 the State Plant Variety Comparison Station Bauska is dissolved. In 1999, the State Plant Variety Comparison Station Cesis and the Riga Vegetable Station are abolished.
In 1999/2000, as a result of reorganisation, the State Seed Inspectorate is transformed into the Seed Control Department and attached to the State Plant Protection Service.
In 2000, the Department for the Control of Trade in and Use of Plant Protection Products is established.
The Forecasting and Diagnostic Laboratory of the State Plant Protection Service, established in 2000, is transformed into the Plant Pests and Diseases Forecasting Unit, with the establishment of seven regional units.
On 1 January 2000, the Latvian State Variety Comparison Centre is incorporated into the State Plant Protection Service. Ringolds Arnītis takes over as head of the State Plant Protection Service in 2000.
In 2001, the Law on the Circulation of Fertilisers is adopted. This law delegates a number of functions and rights in the field of ML circulation to the State Plant Protection Service. In 2001, the State Jelgava Plant Variety Comparison Station and the State Daugavpils Plant Variety Comparison Station are abolished.
In 2001, the Plant Quarantine Department was established.
In 2005, the State Saldus Plant Variety Comparison Station is merged into the Plant Protection Service.
In 2007, the reconstruction of the laboratory building at 36/38 Lielvārdes Street is completed.
In 2008, the Plant Variety Comparison Department is merged into the Seed Control Department.
In 2010, the State Plant Protection Service takes over the functions of the 'Agrochemical Research Centre'.
From 2011, the State Plant Protection Service is headed by Kristīne Lifānova.